The Defender is an all-new Can-Am Side-by-Side line powered by two new Rotax V-Twin engine options. The 50-HP HD8 and 72-HP HD10, which are recalibrated versions of their praised 800R and 1000Rotax V-Twin engines for Heavy-Duty performance. These are two very capable power options providing 50 lb-ft or 61 lb-ft of torque respectively.
The Defender uses an all-new chassis with automotive-like technology and fabrication tolerances that are in line with modern pick-up trucks. Use of high-strength, low-alloy (HSLA) grade steel means a more rigid design than their other Side-by-Side models and Can-Am engineers put this new Defender frame through a new rigorous Utility Test Cycle at their winter and summer testing grounds to ensure its toughness. It comes in four models: Defender, Defender DPS, Defender XT and Defender XT Cab.
A 4-mode traction system provides multiple choices for varying terrain or tasks. The Visco-Lok front differential combines with the lockable rear differential to offer more control on the type of traction needed to the operator. You can select between a 2×4 open rear differential for tight turning and turf protection, a 2×4 lockable rear for improved 2WD traction, a 4×4 open rear for more manoeuvrability in rugged terrain and a 4×4 locked rear for maximum traction. All the Defender models also offer three different driving modes that are designed for optimized performance on a variety of terrain as well as saving on fuel consumption. There is an ECO, a WORK and NORMAL driving mode, selectable on a toggle switch right of the one for the differential
To carefully carry tools and supplies you need in an organized manner the Defender has an open dash design with a handy removable toolbox on the passenger side, an industry exclusive and excellent idea. In addition, there is 6 gal (23 L) of under dash storage with an enclosed pocket for stowing small essentials. The Removable toolbox and under dash storage are part of the optional convenience package, on Defender HD8. Most impressive to me was the Quick and easy tool-less modularity of the Bed Wall Extender accessory that seriously increases box capacity.
The VERSA-PRO bench seat offered on the XT package includes a reinforced seat cover. It uses a thicker vinyl and a special material finish to be more resistant and offer a premium look. The Defender vehicles’ high-quality seat cover is designed to endure the everyday use on the farm, job site and trail. In addition, the XT VERSA-PRO bench seat comes with a 3-in (8 cm) adjustable driver’s seat (forward/rearward) for added comfort and better ingress/egress.
With its full cab enclosure with tilt up windshield and wiper kit, doors with electric opening windows, rear window with sliding opening and heater kit, the Defender XT CAB, the most complete utility vehicle we’ve so far seen off of a showroom floor, takes trail-riding comfort to a whole new level, all year round.
To bring key essentials for a day in the field the new Defender should remain tough to beat for at least a few years. Its strongest aspect is its amazing versatility at work with its many intelligent storage and cargo solutions. Choose from genuine winches, heavy-duty bumpers, skid plates, gun boots and much more to make it your own. Oddly enough, we haven’t had a chance to test the Defender, yet, but while we are working hard on solving that, we can still already state with confidence that this model will attract a lot of hard-working people, Canadians and Americans alike. Whether on the farm or the ranch, you can count on Can-Am to get the job done. Take it up a notch with the wide range of accessories and you will be ready for anything and everything.
- Engines recalibrated for Heavy-Duty performance.
- High-strength, low-alloy (HSLA) grade steel frame.
- PRO-TORQ transmission with Quick Response System (QRS) and larger CVT ratios with work-specific low gear.
- Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) system tuned for utility.
- 4-mode traction system with Visco-Lok QE front differential and lockable rear differential.
- Cargo box has a 1,000-lb (454kg) load capacity and easily dumps.
- Profile cage (steel) designed in tandem with the Can-Am Cab and genuine accessories.
- Defender XT vehicles available with premium metallic paint or exclusive water-dipped camouflage pattern.
- 2-in. rear hitch receiver.
- 12-in (30.5 cm) cast-aluminum wheels.
- VERSA-PRO bench seat offered on the XT package includes a flip-up passenger seats with sealed/waterproof under seat storage.
- 4,500-lb (2,014 kg) winch. (XT and XT Cab models)
- 27-inch Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, 14” wheels. (XT and XT Cab models)
- 25-inch Maxxis tires on 12-inch steel wheels. (base and DPS models)
- Full cab enclosure with tilt up windshield and wiper kit, doors with electric opening windows, rear window with sliding opening and heater kit. (XT Cab only)
More Can-Am Defender Specifications:
- Two heavy-duty, high-torque engine choices: 72-hp Rotax HD10 V-Twin or 50-hp Rotax HD8 V-Twin
- 1-year maintenance free (1,865 miles / 3,000 km or 200 hours)
- Easy access to key maintenance components
- 4-mode traction system including a Turf Mode (available with Convenience package on HD8)
- 11-inch (28 cm) ground clearance
- Double A-arm front suspension with twin tube gas charged shock (10-inch travel)
- TTA-HD rear suspension with external sway bar and twin tube gas charged shock (10-inch travel)
- Four 220 mm brake discs
- 140-W lighting output and LED tail lights
- Tight turn radius
- Optimal (42/58) weight distribution
- 2,000-pound (907.2 kg) tow rating
- 1,000-pound (454 kg) cargo box load (600-pound in California)
- 1,500-pound (680 kg) payload
- 650W magneto
- Lighter type DC outlet in console (20-A)
- 12-V (18 amp/h) battery
- Integrated front steel bumper
- Central skid plate
- Water-resistant and quick attach toolbox and under-dash compartments (available with Convenience package on HD8)
- Roomy and intuitive cockpit
- Adjustable tilt steering wheel
- Centrally-located multifunction digital gauge cluster with open storage area
- Optimized A-pillar placement for improved visibility
- 4 cup holders
- Rugged ergonomically configured grab bar and three foot rests
- Colors: Green, Intense Red, Pure Magnesium, and dipped Mossy Oak Break-Up Country Camp
For more information on the above mentioned models, please visit the Can-Am Off-Road Website
More from Can-Am on ATV Trail Rider :
Can-Am ATV Models – Can-Am UTV Models – Can-Am ATV Reviews – Can-Am UTV Reviews